Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Louis Minnar Is a Visual Viking

I've been watching South African music videos on a constant loop for the last couple of days. One director that has consistently caught my eye (and brain and soul) is Louis Minnar. When I see his distinctive gremlin-thing logo, I know I'm in for a visual feast.



Like the best international directors such as Michel Gondry and Chris Cunningham, you know you're guaranteed a top-notch concept and imagery when you watch a Minnar video. He's worked with artists such as Van Coke Kartel, Straatligkinders and Die Heuwels Fantasties. He recently released a showreel of his 2011 music videos for bands, producers and mere mortals like me to drool over.



Like most insanely talented creative types, Minnar's skills extend to more than just one discipline. He dabbles in just about every visual art you can get, including illustration, 3D, sculpting and sound installations. His most recognisable piece has to be the album cover for Van Coke Kartel's Skop, Skiet and Donner album. His graphic art, as expected, is as arresting as his film-making style.

Here's a whole bunch of his eye-candy.








No comments:

Post a Comment