Monday, December 5, 2011

Game of Thrones DVD and BluRay Set

For some reason, HBO does not see a good reason to release the first season of their critically and commercially successful series Game of Thrones before Christmas so fans will not receiving their favourite grimdark fantasy in their stockings. Instead, they have released pictures of the S1 boxset in order to drive fanboys and fangirls into a frenzied anticipation not seen since Julio Iglesias announced his world tour of nursing homes.




See how pretty it looks? Never has a TV show about regicide, incest and burning people alive looked so attractive. The boxset drops in March, just in time for a mass conversion drive by fans before the US debut of Season 2 in April. In the meantime, there's still plenty of Game of Thrones merchandise to fill your stockings.



The obvious one is a set of the first four books of The Song of Ice and Fire series upon which the show is based. Don't forget the fifth book, which is also heavy enough to beat anyone who spoils the series' many twists and turns.



The HBO store has official merchandise aplenty, from T-shirts and posters to Iron Throne paperweights and sword-shaped letter openers. This beer stein is perfect for getting your King Robert on.



Etsy has a variety of home-made ephemera of varying quality. The most interesting are this vinyl toy of Ned, a cute print and some custom leather cases with house sigils. For the super intense LARPers there's a Cersei gown and a Tyrion knife sheath.


You know what? If you're into spending hundreds of bucks pretending to be a brother-fucking queen or an oversexed dwarf, you might as well go the whole hog and buy a sword. Good luck getting it through the South African Post Office though.



Technically, this dragon plush is from Harry Potter. But all you need is a little fabric paint to be the Mother of Dragons. You don't get to be Khaleesi without a little resourcefulness



And finally, a 2012 calendar to mark off the days until the next season is released and/or George RR Martin stops blogging about American Football  and starts writing The Winds of Winter.

1 comment:

  1. Season one was an outstanding production, even if it skimmed parts of the book, I think HBO did an outstanding job telling the story and killing people off. All I want out of season 2 would be Joffrey’s head on a pike, but somehow I doubt I will get the satisfaction. I wanted to get a refresher before season 2 came out, so I added it to my queue when it was released on my blockbuster @home account. After a almost 2 weeks I couldn’t figure out why it hadn’t come until I looked at my queued and realized that I hadn’t moved it up in priority, and after I fixed that I had them 48 hours later, and started to enjoy them yesterday. Unfortunately my GoT marathon got cut short half way through since I had to go work at DISH, but hey you have to work right? I am just glad that I decided to get the blockbuster @home pack, it has come in handy not only for streaming but for getting DVD’s by mail.

    ReplyDelete